There are 6 choices when it comes to heavy truck traction. Traditional Cable Chains and Regular Twist Link Chains are the 2 entry level chains - check DOT regulations to ensure you fulfill minimum requirements for number of chains and type. Some states do not accept the traditional cable chains as they will tangle and damage their road clearing snow blowers. Do not use Traditional Cable Chains with winter tires or heavy lug tread as the cables will fall in between the lugs and traction will be lost.
For those that tend to use chains regularly, we suggest using higher end chains tailored for better traction and wear. These alternatives are more expensive, but will stand up much longer and require less maintenance yielding a much lower cost per mile of traction.
Selection as follows:
- Traditional Cable Chains for those who need to carry chains and want the lightest weight, but would rarely ever be used.
- Regular Twist Link Chains for those who need to carrry chains and would be used only for short distances in light conditions.
- V-bar reinforced for general service on deep snow, mud and ice covered roads & highways
- Scorpion Studded for off-road use where extreme traction is require - there is no more aggressive chain than this type
BC Ministry of Transport Rules:
- Steel Link Chains must be used on all Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV) over 11,794 kgs.
- Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV) under 11,794kgs. can use Steel Link Chains, Cable Chains, or Socks.
Best way to find chain size: Enter tire size into top right "Enter Keyword or Part Number" field.
ie: 11R22.5 or 11-22.5
Depending on tire size, results may show 2 chains of same type - choose larger size if being used with heavy tread or snow tires
!!! Due to variations in tire manufactures, and the geometry of the suspensions in many trucks is imperative that you find out that there is enough clearance for chains to be used. It is also important to install chains prior to actual use and examine for proper fit. Chains must clear all components, and body work when truck is in motion. !!!